Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Ruby Chronicles (#8)

Editor Note:  The Ruby Chronicles essays come to me courtesy of Sid Stivland. 

A Scary Morning

The fog was so thick I couldn’t see beyond the hood of the car.  This was the day I had to bring the cream to the Lowry Creamery on my way to school.  To make matters worse, moisture froze on the windshield.  The wipers stuck.  Again and again I got out and scraped off the ice.  I drove at a snail’s pace staying as close to the side of the road as I dared.

I thought I was alone on the road.  Suddenly, when I stopped and scraped off the ice on the right side of the windshield I saw two big lights come directly toward me.  I ran, jumped into the car, and swerved it to the right as I said aloud “Oh, my goodness”.  In another split second we would have crashed head-on.  

The big smelly oil transport truck hit the left back fender and went on without stopping.
With chattering teeth and wobbling knees, I brought the cream to the creamery.

A few days later when the fender repair man asked me “Do you know your left head light is burned out?”  I then realized why the trucker headed directly towards me.

Ruby Johnson Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment