Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Photographic History of the Village of Lowry (Update: Rev H)



 Quick link to updated album (Rev H, Apr 2022)  (new photos are at the bottom)

One of my prized possessions is the 10 volume "Photographic History of the Civil" war, edited by Francis Trevelyan Miller and published in 1911, the 50th anniversary of the firing on Fort Sumter. It is amazing how evocative a collection of photos can be.

This has inspired me to assemble the historic Lowry photos I have into an album and make it available online. This of course is hardly on the scale of Miller's masterpiece or Ken Burns' remarkable documentary.  Their problem was to sift through the enormous volume of possible photos and choose and document each one.  My problem is the photos I have is what I have.  Happily, family members have added to my collection, but nevertheless, it can only be categorized as sparse.  As you might expect, the album is weighted toward my own family. But if you have any connection to Lowry, I'm pretty sure you will find photos that will evoke a tinge of nostalgia. And even if you have never heard of Lowry, I think you might find the photos interesting nevertheless.

I don't as a rule troll for hits, but if you know anyone with a Lowry connection, however remote, please forward the link to them. I am hoping to expose this widely for the selfish reason that it may lead to additions and improvements to the collection.



[May 2019 Rev F / April 2022 Rev G -  photos added]

I have pompously named the album "Photographic History of Lowry Village". You can access the album HERE.  Double-click any thumbnail to open the image. You will see arrows on the left & right to advance to the next/previous photo. The first item in the album is a Google doc index to the photos. Each photo is numbered and the index provides photo descriptions and names of people pictured. To see the names of people pictured, most often you will have to reference the index file.

You are welcome to download any of the photos.

And .. if you have "Lowry" photos that you would be willing to have included in this album, please email them to me. I will add them with photo credit to you.

I have tried my best to identify each person pictured, but there are some gaps. If you can help fill in those gaps, or supply corrections, comments or have additional information on a photo(s) - please reply in a comment below or email me.

Email: ussbb62@gmail.com


Copyright © 2019 Dave Hoplin






1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Brian Dahl for the photo of Leif Dahl's Trucking Service from the 1940's. Phone # 40 - see the telephone operator photos

    ReplyDelete