Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Ruby Chronicles (#11)

World War II Days



Editor Note:  The Ruby Chronicles essays come to me courtesy of Sid Stivland.


The war did affect my life as a civilian.

As a rural school teacher, I had to issue booklets of ration stamps to applicants who came to the schoolhouse before or after school hours.  If a booklet was misused or transferred, it could be taken from the holder by the “Office of Price Administration” and the person would get a stiff sentence.  Commodities rationed were coffee, sugar, butter, and shoes.

People who used cars to get to work got enough gas.  I had never owned a bicycle and a new one was not available, so I bought a used one (not in the best condition) at the Hoplin and Nelson Hardware in Lowry.  I thought if I biked the three miles of rough graveled road to school occasionally, I’d have some extra gas for going shopping and bowling in Glenwood.  But this proved too taxing as often the wind had increased by evening and I’d have to call my dad to come and get me.

By making the coffee a little weaker we always were able to offer a friend or neighbor a warm cup of coffee. We made corn syrup cake, cocoa cake, and apple sauce cake using one fourth cup sugar and three fourths cup white syrup.  Sugarless cookies tasted good too. We on the farm churned some butter so that was not a problem.

I had one pair of shoes for work and one for dress.

One product often missing on the grocery shelf was jello.

Our community was different when many young folks either enlisted or were drafted in 1942.  There were less young people at the summer wiener roasts and winter house parties.  If I wouldn’t have been so busy with school work and helping my aging parents I would have felt very lonely.  My boy friend, Iver, and two of (his) brothers and a sister enlisted in 1942.  His youngest brother enlisted in 1944.

My good friend, Adeline (nee Anderson) and I made a train trip in 1943 to California where Iver was stationed.  He showed us many points of interest; Golden Gate Bridge, China Town, museums, zoos, flower gardens, and we rode the cable car.  Iver and I became engaged.  It was difficult for me to leave as I knew he would soon be going overseas.

Praise God all the brothers and sister came back unharmed in 1945 when the war was over.

Ruby Johnson Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment