Friday, April 15, 2016

The Ruby Chronicles (#10)

An Unforgettable Dirt Storm


Editor Note:  The Ruby Chronicles essays come to me courtesy of Sid Stivland.


This day is going to be different, I realize, as I hurriedly unlock my school house door.

The wind velocity is greater than the previous days of this very dry season.  As the morning wears on the wind blows harder and harder.  The air is getting thicker with dust hiding the sun.  Oh, how I wish for and pray for a gentle rain.

By mid-afternoon the curtains are moving slightly and fine silt is sifting in through the windows. If only I had a gas lamp as the room is getting darker and darker.  It is impossible for the children to concentrate on their studies.  They are anxiously looking out the windows.

Suddenly there is a knock on the door.  The first parent arrives and asks that his children may be excused early.  With eager anticipation the other children wait for their parents to come.  

The room is now empty.  Since driving visibility is poor, I too better leave early.

Oh, how I will appreciate a gentle refreshing rain, blue skies, and bright sunshine again.

Ruby Johnson Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment