Saturday, October 31, 2020

This I Believe

A few years ago, NPR had a weekly series titled "This I Believe". People of all walks of life, famous, little known or unknown would submit an essay on a subject meaningful to them and if chosen, they would read their essay on the air. The original "This I Believe" aired on CBS from 1951 - 1955, hosted by Edward R. Murrow. The idea was revived by NPR and continues on PRI. Check it out https://thisibelieve.org/   I'm sure you will find something inspiring.

I have no expectation of appearing on the radio, but here's my essay.

This I Believe.

I believe a healthy democracy requires a separation of powers where all three branches of government have equal power and act as checks and balances on the others. The Legislative branch should create laws, exercise the power of the purse and confirm political appointees and exercise oversight of the Executive branch. The Executive branch shall administer laws assuring they are faithfully executed, act as commander in chief of the armed forces, conduct foreign policy, propose legislative initiatives. The Judicial branch shall interpret laws, settle disputes, rule on the constitutionality of laws. The judiciary should be non-political.

I believe that voting is both a right granted by the constitution and a sacred duty for all eligible voters.  I believe voting should be simple, fair and accessible to all. I believe attempts to suppress the vote is criminal. 

I believe that affordable, quality health care is a right and should not depend on income or locale.

I believe the US needs allies. I believe we should work diligently to build partnerships around the world, especially with countries on our borders, Europe, Israel and Japan. I believe we have surrendered our moral and political leadership in the world.

I believe that climate change is an existential threat to the planet. It is a global problem and must be met by coordinated global action. I believe we are failing and the time for action is short.  

I believe that environmental protection is a fundamental component of the health and welfare of a society. I believe it is a responsibility of all of us but governments have a special responsibility to preserve our natural wonders, protect water & air quality, combat deforestation, punish polluters.

I believe that science leads to progress.

I believe in the separation of church and state. I believe we all have the right to worship as we choose without interference from government.

I believe that peaceful protest is a fundamental right granted by the constitution.  I believe that looting and burning is a crime and should be punished.

I believe in individual liberty coupled with individual responsibility. I believe liberty means you are free to make your own decisions as long as the rights of others are considered. I believe responsibility requires empathy and compassion for those less well off than yourselves. 

I believe it is possible to disagree and still be respectful of the opinions of others. 

I believe that embracing false conspiracy theories causes great damage to civil society.

I believe the USA must work to recover our long held standing as a beacon of freedom to the world, the shining light on the hill and again '... and lift our lamp beside the golden door'. 


Copyright © 2020 Dave Hoplin


4 comments:

  1. Very well said, David! VERY well said!

    Perhaps you will start a rebirth of Edward R. Murrow’s program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Dave Hoplin. I share your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David. So well explained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave - love reading your words. So true! So well said! If only we could get some of our politicians to pledge support. We have a long journey - but am sincerely hope we will be closer tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete