Saturday, May 3, 2014

Invitation


I know my foibles and they are legion.  But, having attained a certain age, I have an urge to record my story, as if it were captivating or extraordinary, which of course it is not.  The urge is limited,  focused only on the year 1957.  


I recently was given the book “Write the Story of Your Life” by my “great” aunt, which seems like a clarion call to act on my impulse.  I know that if common sense ruled, I should stop at this point and issue the shortest memoir in world history, but the urge to write, if only for the amusement of those near and dear, defies logic.  


Quite sensibly, most people avoid memoirs like a plague.  Maudlin, saccharine, self consumed, self-serving and most of all, boring.  You, the reader, should expect no less from me.  But if you chose to read, know that I will try not to fall into the historian’s trap and alter the record for my benefit, although that temptation is strong.  But fear not, I have proven that I can resist most anything - except temptation.


I am calling this “Distant Innocence” and I have decided to create it as a series of blog posts, this age’s lazy and ubiquitous publication process - that decision alone may secure its just fate - but also because the likelihood of finding a real publisher stresses probability theory.  


I intend to rely only on my own recollections of that distant 10 year old boy so there should be no expectation that this will be factual.  Perhaps this can become a dialog so you’all can correct my mis-remembering and add your own recollections, although there are a limited number of you who can recall 1957, so I my musings may go unchallenged.


As you certainly know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, so to try to avoid that descent, I am instituting a self-imposed deadline for bi-monthly* episodes.   Hold me to it.  Or not.


If this holds no interest to you or you have quit reading somewhere above, you need to do nothing. You will hear no more of this from me.  If, on the other hand, you are wondering what’s so special about 1957, opt-in.  You can opt-out at any time - I won’t be offended.  If all goes well, you can at least expect a few chuckles at my expense.   I ask for no more.



*  ”bi-monthly” is a carefully chosen word - does it mean twice a month or every other month?

2 comments:

  1. Go for it! I look forward to revelations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “There comes a time when you realize that everything is a dream, and only those things preserved in writing have any possibility of being real.”
    ― James Salter, All That Is

    ReplyDelete