Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Grounded



Many of you may know I am an avid bike rider and living in Minnesota makes the summer riding days quite precious. So when the doc says, "You're grounded. On the shelf. No cycling for at least 6 weeks", my heart sunk. The bicycle is my refuge, my path to serenity, a bulwark against the Black Dog.  And to compound matters, my mobility is pretty limited.  Angst.




But I have something in my repertoire that helps keeps me calm.  (That's an overstatement, but it has helped me to accept the one-day-at-a-time endurance contest.) 

That something is poetry.

When I was in high school, poetry was my most unfavorite unit in the English curriculum.  I held to the nerd maxim .. 'Science strives to describe complex concepts so they are understandable to all, while poetry reverses that'. I was unappreciative. The classic poems we were asked to read seemed so obscure as to be gobbledygook. When reading poem aloud, I floundered, hitting the end of a line of poetry, and, alas, discovering too late that it keeps going to the next line - or 2.  Where's the punctuation?  Impossible to read or comprehend.

At some point, rather late in life, poetry became an important contributor to my well being. Scales fell away. Now, a day without a poem is like an overcast day. (Obviously, while my poem reading is robust, my poem writing is weak.)  

I tend to read anthologies and there are still poems, perhaps the majority, that leave me unmoved. But, Sometimes (Sheenagh Pugh) I bump into a poem like that one of hope. Or a poem that  brings an unexpected a laugh like Soybeans (Thomas Orr) or insight like Living in the Body (Joyce Suthpen) or comfort like Psalm 23  (Bay Psalm Book) or a tear like Shifting the Sun ((Der-Hovanessian) or awe like Courage (Anne Sexton). Treasures.

Slow down. Relax. Read a poem.

Copyright ©  2023  Dave Hoplin

2 comments:

  1. It must be the worst time of year to be told to stay away from your bike. We’ve been cooped up all winter, so it’s always a treat to be reacquainted with our bicycles. You are approaching this with such grace, though. So happy poetry lifts you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I’m sure I’d have better coping skills in November

    ReplyDelete