Thursday, March 25, 2021

Novel Defenses

Dominion Systems has filed a defamation suit against Sydney Powell for $1.3B for her accusations of voter fraud in the 2020 election, specifically calling out the Dominion voting machines.  Her defense is "no reasonable person would believe my conspiracy theories".  Wow.  I'm not sure what that says about her followers but if you buy that, it opens up a whole raft of possible "explanations" for criminal, civil or personal misconduct, although I'm not sure this one can be topped:  "Everyone knows I can't be trusted"   

But, here's a few more you can try out when it appears the hammer is coming down on you.

1) I was just having a bad day

2) I have a tumor pressing on my cortex

3) I had just eaten two packages of Twinkies

4) I just couldn't get to a phone

5) I had no idea what that pounding the garbage can was about

6) The devil made me do it

7) I have a lot of money so you should just drop it

8) I am broke so you should just drop it

9) I thought the flight was 8 PM not 8 AM

10) I'm dyslexic. I thought I was doing 60

11) I was on mute

12) I didn't have any clean underwear

13) Reddit/WallStreetBets said it was a sure thing

14) I was watching the Starship Enterprise docking at MSP

15) I was always told to ask for forgiveness instead of permission

When all else fails, admit guilt.

{Add your own favorite defense/excuse as a comment}

Copyright ©  2021  Dave Hoplin


5 comments:

  1. From an OB/GYN doctor I stopped for speeding, "I'm on my way to deliver a baby. [No, she wasn't, she was just late for work and I found her at her clinic. I told her lying to an officer is extremely unbecoming, especially for someone who we are supposed to trust.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. While arguing that Powell's public statements and filings were clearly opinion, the filing also claims that she still believes them to be true.
    "She believed the allegations then and she believes them now," the filing says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However, she has said "no reasonable person would conclude" those "were truly statements of fact". So unless, she places herself outside the group of "reasonable" people, it seems like an admission of lying.

      Delete
    2. Since she apparently still believes what she claimed, I vote for her not being reasonable, in the same category as Newsmax, Fox, and Giuliani, who also believed and reported and/or supported her claims. Par for the course when you have a twice impeached POTUS also making these claims with her and Giuliani as counsel.

      Delete