Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Social Distancing

I have an enormous advantage over most people in this period of social distancing.  I'm an introvert and I am of Scandinavian heritage so this is my natural state. And I like to write, a solitary process. I am 2 generations removed from my Swedish immigrant family and 3 generations removed from my Norwegian immigrant family. I have often wondered how much of my personality is inherited and what portion is of my own doing.  Whenever I find a flaw, I lean toward the inherited traits.



There is a well deserved Scandinavian stereotype that portrays Nordic stock as stoic to a fault, captured perfectly in the wry story that Ole once heard a joke so funny .. he almost smiled.  There is a Nordic inclination if not a genetic trait, then by strong custom, to adhere to a code of conduct known as the "Law of Jante".  These "laws" were formulated in the satirical novel "A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks" by Aksel Sandemose in 1933 although he adopted these from much older traditions.

There are 10 laws but they all basically state "you're nothing special" and doing things overtly ambitious or out of the ordinary is unworthy and inappropriate. It represents a code of conduct for group behavior.

The crux of the rules are:

  1. Common good over the individual. Don't be greedy or self centered. We are all in this together
  2. Humility. You are not more important than anyone else. You should probably refuse that $1M executive bonus.
  3. Fit in. Don't be flashy. Drive a Volvo
  4. Ambition will not make you happy.  Be content and consider friends and family first. In your life, consider what you want your epitaph to read.
  5. Society should be classless.  Everyone counts. Let's look out for each other.





Be well my friends.

Copyright © 2020 Dave Hoplin

2 comments:

  1. After 9/11 we were told to go to the shopping mall: individualism trumped collective responsibility, opportunities to appeal to our better selves were squandered. Maybe this time it will be different. We can certainly, individually, try to live up to those rules. I’ll pass on the Volvo, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Your message is So true. We can only survive if we work at it together. Tom, you are right, such a contrast from 9/11.

    ReplyDelete