Wednesday, October 27, 2021

World Series Blues


I have been a baseball fan since I was 6 years old.  I remember when the baseball playoff was called The World Series, featuring the pennant winner from the American & National Leagues - win it all or go home. I remember Don Larsen's perfect game. I remember Bill Mazeroski's walk-off 7th game home run. I know I have written about baseball in this blog more than most readers can handle. Apologies to the non-baseball fan. I don't understand you, but there you go. I love October baseball and it has been rare that I have missed watching a World Series game. Even this year with the cheating Astros and the chop & chant Braves I am tuned in. (I cannot tolerate that chant  - I watch with the TV on mute. I'm a better color commentator than Darling or Smoltz anyway) 


But ... I fear Major League Baseball is committing suicide. Game one, a nine inning 6-2 victory for the Braves took 4 hours 6 minutes to complete. Who can tolerate that? Not even me. I can remember double-headers that took less time than that. Atlanta used 5 pitchers, Houston 6. No pitcher worked more than 2 1/3 innings. This is today's game and I hate it. When did starting pitching become irrelevant?

In 1957, Milwaukee starting pitcher Lew Burdette won 3 games, all three complete games and shutouts in both games 5 and 7. The Milwaukee Braves topped the Yankees in 7. That was gripping.  [By the way, a complete game is when the starting pitcher pitches all nine innings, something as rare as a leadoff home run in game 1 of the World Series. Lew Burdette was the fidgetiest pitcher in history and used his fidgets to obfuscate doctoring the ball for his unhittable spitball.] 

Here are the scores and game times for those 1957 games.



Game 1: 3-1 Yankees  2:10

Game 2: 4-2 Braves 2:26

Game 3: 12-3 Yankees 3:18

Game 4: 7-5 Braves 2:31

Game 5: 1-0 Braves 2:00

Game 6: 3-2 Yankees 2:09

Game 7: 5-0 Braves 2:34



I rest my case.


Copyright ©  2021  Dave Hoplin


1 comment:

  1. So your pitcher has a no-hitter through 5 innings. A no-hitter in the World Series has only been accomplished once in history. So what does the manage do? Pull him of course. Analytics says he doesn’t do well 3rd time through the order. A chance at history and immense excitement for the baseball fan. The game is being destroyed.

    ReplyDelete