Friday, August 3, 2018

Champion Leghorns

I know you were expecting an article on Sig Rykhus' chickens, but no ...

Recently "Big Time" sent me a scrapbook with every Park Region Echo newspaper clipping referencing the Lowry baseball team from 1954 through 1962. It was sent to him by "Tubba" whose father (Ray Hayenga) was the compiler.  What a treasure. 

I offer you here a teaser - photos of the 1955 & 1960 league champion Lowry Leghorn teams. Lowry oldtimers will remember these names. And there is a distant ten-year-old baseball fanatic that confesses to hero-worship of these guys. I even had my own miniature Lowry uniform with the #10 on the back. (If you remember who wore that, you're just as affected as I.)

Based on this scrapbook, I plan to write a history of those great Lowry teams. I know there is but a small niche market for this topic, but you have to write what you love.  Stay tuned.

1955 Resorters League Champs



1960 Pomme de Terre League Champs


Copyright © 2018 Dave Hoplin

5 comments:

  1. What fun! Didn't recognize any names on the 1955 team, but the Troen brothers attended grades 1-8 at District 33, graduated from Glenwood, and were members at Indherred--knew the family well, but didn't know they were baseball enthusiasts! I bought my 4-H lambs from their father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for the stories. I will venture a guess that Glen Herrlinger, the steady catcher, wore number 10. He would never swing at the first pitch, a practice Joe Mauer employs today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was young, occasionally visiting Lowry, Mom's hometown, a relative would occasionally ask whether I liked to play "ball." That seemed an odd question, and I probably replied that my favorite sport was football, I was no good at basketball, and baseball was okay. This suburban Minneapolis kid didn't understand the allegiance to and passion for baseball in that area. Glad to now better understand the contributions of the Hoplins and Nelsons and their buddies to the wonders of "the national pastime." Nate Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fondly remember retrieving foul balls for either a 5 or 10 cent reward. The competition was pretty stiff!

    ReplyDelete