Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Case of the Three Bakers

Over a year ago, I posted - Fageras To BrandonThis post chronicles the journey of my great-grandparents' - the Nelsons - immigration from Fageras, Sweden to Brandon, MN aboard the steamship Bothnia in 1886. The family's immigration journey started in Fageras on June 24, 1886 arriving in Boston July 9, 1886 by way of Gothenburg-Hull-Liverpool. From Boston, the family went by rail to Chicago, St. Paul and on to Brandon, MN, arriving on July 12, 1886. [See also: My People - The Journey]


Cunard Steamship Bothnia



Recently, I received a startling note from a relative of one of the crew-members on board that 1886 steamer..


"This is SO exciting to me for several reasons ! My great grandfather, Edward Alcock , was a baker on this ship as a merchant seaman. He jumped or was pushed overboard, and my grandfather was raised in Scotland by his mother’s people."

Whoa!  Surprise doesn't quite seem strong enough to express my reaction.  Could this be true? Based on the dates, this incident was on the self-same passage as the Nelsons.

But imagine my amazement when a newspaper search verified the story - and more.




Not only did this fellow jump (or was pushed) overboard, but 2 other bakers took the same fatal jump that year. The short blurb is a bit confusing. I take it to mean that Edward's "suicide" occurred on July 5th and that 2 other bakers on other? steamships also committed suicide by drowning in 1886.  This seems extraordinarily bizarre and highly suspicious.

A mystery!  I would love to know the full story. Arthur Conan Doyle is dead so perhaps I should make it up :-)  A "Baker" Street mystery.

Copyright © 2017 Dave Hoplin


1 comment: