Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Ruby Robieson Bennett - Odes to Lowry

Editor note:  This, the final Ruby Robieson Bennett offering, is a set of "odes to Lowry".


Folks in My Home Town

5/18/99

They’re altogether beautiful
The folks in my home town!
They work hard, pay their bills,
Help their neighbors, when up or down.
The 1st Responders rush when summoned.
When emergency deems it wise.
Just glance around you once,
See neatest people with just greatest smiles.
Some places we know of just learn to live each day,
Glad to be alive.
Of course we cherish this truth also,
But go one better – we survive!
Yes, we are seasoned urbanites –
Where crops and weather set the bonds
So we have tons and tons of purpose
Which always draws as one.
It’s needful to be prayerful,
Where joy and thanks abound.
Just jolly glad being one of them,
Those folks in my home town!
I wouldn’t trade a single day,
Of living where I am,
For urban glitz and fame,
Or see those glittery lights up high,
Spelling out my name!
To lose this fulfilled wonder
Where we know everybody’s name
So, maybe there’s a smidge eye on my nose
My knees show I’ve been digging dirt,
I’d dare walk right down Main Street.

To learn this truth my heart knows well!
Impossible to locate a better place to live,
To leave, for me, would break my heart.
I love my people, the feeling the Spirit’s giving.



St. Paul’s Lutheran Church – Lowry, MN


The steeple stood high above all else, except the water tower in the village of Lowry. A symbol of faith, a place that held memories so dear to Ruby.


My Little Village

1/6/2000

I grew up in a village small,
Where everyone there knew my name.
Love, entwined my family,
church, school and friendships
Plus every precious day that came.

True, the Village grew to be a city
Time marched on, thence change came in.
Downtown for mail, bread at the grocers,
Greeting people; grin for grin.

Oh, that cool bank down on the corner!
Check, deposit, take home some cash.
Fun watching huge rollers while at Quinco.
Hair appointment – Hey! Best I dash!

Suddenly a shadow darkened all my pathway.
Life for me would never be the same –
Oh, little Village how it pains to leave you,
Changes even how I write my name.

Material things live for the moment.
Remembering friendships cause tears to start.
Realizing how many miles divide us –
I left you – part of my heart.

But God has seen us thru our sorrow,
Just as He watched us thru the years.
So it will be as we go onward
Loving us, alleviating fears.

I Slept on the School House Lawn

9/08/2001

My friend invited me to stay,
Her home a part of the complex new.
Several similar houses in a row,
Each complete with a familiar view.
In memory, recall years long past
When in school days we seemed to belong.
Dodging these trees, so small back then,
We’d run across the broad green lawn.
Now a tidy row of houses stands, instead.
Each a part of the complex, neatly clad.
What a change! In observation,
Replacing things we’d once had.
Taking all into consideration,
Time moves on. Like a great, great yawn,
Night time came, I slipped ‘neath the covers
Realizing I’d slept on the school house lawn.

(Published in the Pope County Senior Perspective – February 2002 – written after sleeping at Edna Mork’s – whose apartment was on the former school house property in Lowry, it was just like sleeping on the school house lawn to me.)

Lowry

Written December 30, 1997

On just a tiny hill it sits
Oblivious of its small size.
It makes this heart beat ever fast
When sight of water tower meets my eyes.
Lowry! Lowry! How I miss you!
My hometown, my little town, my place
So sparkling clean, each family place.
The steps to our house I’d run with joy,
I missed it more than pen could trace
Those memories are those that place.
Remembering every kindness shown our family
Through smiling face and hugs sincere
Carved in Lowry granite – just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment